Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Raspberry & Almond Frangipane Tart



This recipe is from Nigella Lawson's How to Eat. How to Eat is probably my favourite cook book. There are no pictures and I like to read it like a novel. It lives on my bedside table.

This tart is actually a Bakewell Tart. However, I tend to find people much prefer the Frangipane Tart name. In fact, I have had people refuse to eat Bakewell Tart, but when I call it Frangipane Tart, they gobble it. Silly!

A lot of Australians have never heard of Bakewell Tart. I never had and thought the name sounded rather stupid (a tart that bakes well?!). I subsequently found out Bakewell Tart is named after a town in Derbyshire, England. The legend is that an inexperienced servant to one Mrs Greaves of the White Horse Inn, stuffed up a jam tart and put the jam at the bottom of the tart instead of as a topping.

This dessert is very delicious, very popular and very easy. I also like it because I always have the ingredients in my cupboard/freezer. I have made it countless times. Sometimes, when I can't be bothered or don't have much time, I use frozen pastry (Careme is my brand of choice). Still tastes great, but I find the almond pastry lifts it that little bit more. I like it with some double cream.

Bakewell Tart / Raspberry & Almond Frangipane Tart (from Nigella Lawson's How to Eat)

For the almond pastry:

175 g flour
30 gm almond meal
65 gm icing sugar
130 gm butter, diced
one egg yolk

Sift the flour, a pinch of salt, the ground almonds and sugar into a mixing bowl. Add the diced butter and either use the dough hooks of your mixer or use a round bladed knife to cut the mixture (if preparing by hand).

When the butter is reduced to flakes, use your fingertips to rub the pastry. When the mixture resembles breadcrumbs, stir in the egg yolk. You may need to add a drop or two of cold water if the mixture is still crumbly. Form the pastry into a fat disc and pop in glad wrap or foil and pop in the fridge for 20 minutes.

After the dough has rested, roll out the pastry and line a 26cm round greased tart tin. I roll the dough between two sheets of baking paper to stop it sticking to the bench. Pop the lined tin back in the fridge while you make the filling.

(I realise that the pastry sounds rather fiddly but I reckon the whole process takes about 10 - 15 minutes)

For the filling:

125 g butter, softened
125 g caster sugar
3 eggs
3 tablespoons raspberry jam
300g raspberries (I usually use frozen)
125 g almond meal
15 g flaked almonds

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Melt the butter. Beat the melted butter, sugar and eggs together in your mixer. The mixture gets very glossy and thick (a little like meringue, but not as stiff). While the mixer is on, spread the jam on the base of the pastry case and cover with the raspberries.




Add the almond meal to the now voluminous egg mixture (just a quick stir to ensure it is distributed through the egg). Don't beat the almond in - you don't want to lose any of the lovely volume.

Pour the almond and egg mixture on the frozen raspberries. Sprinkle with flaked almonds.

Bake in a 200 degree oven for around 35 - 45 minutes or until the tart is golden and swollen.

I sometimes find the tart browns quite quickly. If I am worried the tart will burn I put a wooden chopping board on the wire shelf above to stop the heat directly hitting the top of the tart.

Serve warm.



No comments:

Post a Comment